Viewing cable 09CONAKRY500
Title: MEDIA RESPONSE TO USG PRESS RELEASE AND SUBSEQUENT

IdentifierCreatedReleasedClassificationOrigin
09CONAKRY5002009-08-26 13:59:00 2011-08-30 01:44:00 CONFIDENTIAL Embassy Conakry
VZCZCXYZ0000
RR RUEHWEB

DE RUEHRY #0500 2381359
ZNY CCCCC ZZH
R 261359Z AUG 09
FM AMEMBASSY CONAKRY
TO SECSTATE WASHDC 3962
C O N F I D E N T I A L CONAKRY 000500 
 
SIPDIS 
 
E.O. 12958: DECL: 08/25/2019 
TAGS: PGOV KDEM ASEC GV
SUBJECT: MEDIA RESPONSE TO USG PRESS RELEASE AND SUBSEQUENT 
GOG RESPONSE 
 
REF: CONAKRY 00493 
 
Classified By: A/PAO MOLLY SANCHEZ CROWE FOR REASON 1.4 B AND D 
 
¶1.  (U)  Summary:  Following the August 20 USG press release 
on Guinean elections and the subsequent GOG response 
(REFTEL), journalists told PAS staff that the USG is playing 
an appropriate role by reminding the CNDD of the commitments 
it made upon taking power.  The USG press release and GOG 
response has also sparked on-going discussions on radio talk 
shows regarding a possible Dadis candidacy in the 
presidential elections of 2010.  Guinean state television 
continues to present only pro-Dadis reporting. End Summary 
 
¶2.  (C)  PAS Press Assistant spoke with Souleyman Diallo, 
senior Guinean journalist and editor of the newspapers Le 
Lynx and La Lance.  Mr. Diallo said that he originally 
supported the junta, thinking that Dadis was a real military 
officer, but that it is now clear that Dadis is not 
respecting his commitments.  Diallo commented, "If he has 
changed, we have changed too.  We do not support him."  He 
also commented, "We will push him out the door.  We are not 
scared." 
 
¶3.  (C)  Another journalist, Moussa Ibn Conte of the Guinean 
written press association, noted that the USG press release 
came at the right time and shook everything up in Guinea. 
Both journalists stated that the press release issued by the 
Ministry of Foreign Affairs was prepared by the controversial 
Minister of Communication to the Presidency and to the 
Minister of National Defense, Tibou Camara, a recent CNDD 
appointee who previously served as the Minister of 
Information under the Souare administration. 
 
¶4.  (U)  PAS also received calls from a large number of 
journalists expressing support for the USG press release.  In 
general, journalists said the USG is playing an appropriate 
role by reminding the CNDD of the commitments they made when 
they took power.  Some commented that the CNDD was correct to 
remind the United States that this is an internal affair; 
however they also noted that since the CNDD made commitments 
to the international community, it is appropriate for the 
U.S. to remind them of those commitments. Another comment 
heard from journalists noted that if the U.S. did not make 
this type of statement now, it would not have the moral 
authority to criticize the regime later. 
 
¶5.  (U)  PAS continues to monitor radio programs, including 
call-in programs, on private radio stations.  During several 
recent programs that opened phone lines for listeners to 
comment on a possible Dadis candidacy, the vast majority of 
callers commented that, while Dadis has the right to present 
himself as a candidate, he should not do so because he made 
the commitment not to run when he took power.  According to 
comments, this early commitment gave people hope that there 
would be a democratic transition in Guinea, which is why 
people originally supported Dadis and the CNDD.  Another 
frequently heard comment suggests that Dadis is manipulating 
certain groups to push for his candidacy, but that if he does 
run, people will take to the streets and will reject his 
candidacy. 
 
¶6.  (U)  While debate continues on the private radio 
airwaves, the government television station RTG consistently 
presents pro-CNDD reporting.  RTG aired the GOG's response to 
the USG press release on August 22, followed by a commentary 
describing the release as undermining the will of the new 
authorities to carry out the transition, and noting that 
Guineans should be allowed to choose their leaders without 
foreign interference.  The television news did not air or 
make reference to the Forces Vives' August 23 statement.  The 
lead story on August 24 was an editorial piece describing the 
ad-hoc committee as an independent and impartial body created 
at the suggestion of the Forces Vives and noting that the 
Guinean people are "perplexed" by the voices attempting to 
undermine the new timeline for elections announced by this 
committee. 
 
¶7.  (U)  Comment: Discussion has not abated.  Contacts seem 
to be looking to next week's International Contact Group 
meeting as a strong indicator of how the transition process 
may unfold in the weeks ahead.  End Comment 
BROKENSHIRE