Viewing cable 09USNATO561
Title: ACTION REQUEST: A DECISION ON NATO CONTINGENCY

IdentifierCreatedReleasedClassificationOrigin
09USNATO5612009-12-02 11:14:00 2011-08-30 01:44:00 SECRET//NOFORN Mission USNATO
VZCZCXRO5178
OO RUEHSL
DE RUEHNO #0561 3361114
ZNY SSSSS ZZH
O 021114Z DEC 09
FM USMISSION USNATO
TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC IMMEDIATE 3679
RUEKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DC IMMEDIATE
RUEKJCS/JOINT STAFF WASHDC IMMEDIATE
RHEHNSC/WHITE HOUSE NSC WASHDC IMMEDIATE
INFO RUEHZG/NATO EU COLLECTIVE PRIORITY
RUEHMO/AMEMBASSY MOSCOW PRIORITY 6590
RUEHRA/AMEMBASSY RIGA PRIORITY 7169
RUEHTL/AMEMBASSY TALLINN PRIORITY 0018
RUEHVL/AMEMBASSY VILNIUS PRIORITY 7315
RHMFISS/USNMR SHAPE BE PRIORITY
RUEAIIA/CIA WASHDC PRIORITY
RUEHNO/USDELMC BRUSSELS BE PRIORITY
RHEFDIA/DIA WASHDC PRIORITY
RHMFISS/HQ USEUCOM VAIHINGEN GE PRIORITY
S E C R E T USNATO 000561 
 
NOFORN 
SIPDIS 
 
E.O. 12958: DECL: 12/02/2019 
TAGS: PREL MCAP MARR LH LG EN PL
SUBJECT: ACTION REQUEST: A DECISION ON NATO CONTINGENCY 
PLANNING FOR THE BALTICS 
 
REF: VILNIUS 641 
 
Classified By: Ambassador Ivo Daalder.  Reasons: 1.4 (b) and (d). 
 
¶1. (SBU) This is an action request.  See para 6. 
 
¶2. (S/NF) SUMMARY: NATO contingency planning will be on the 
agenda during a December 16 meeting of Baltic and Polish 
leaders.  It is also on the draft agenda of the Secretary 
General's December 10 meeting with SACEUR and the Chairman of 
the NATO Military Committee.  We risk losing the ability to 
influence and shape this discussion if we don't have a firm 
U.S. decision on moving forward with the inclusion of the 
Baltic states into the ongoing revision of the defense of 
Poland plan by the time of these meetings.  We request that 
Washington expedite its decision making process in order to 
reach a final decision by Monday, December 7, providing us 
the time we need to have the U.S. Military Representative and 
his German counterpart begin actively working this issue 
within NATO military channels prior to the meetings described 
above.  END SUMMARY 
 
¶3. (S/NF) On December 1, we met informally with Baltic 
representatives to exchange updates on contingency planning. 
They remain committed to pursuing the addition of a Baltic 
section to the ongoing renewal of the Polish plan.  We 
assured them that we are in the final stage of an interagency 
decision on the issue.  We reiterated that Baltic leaders 
needed to refrain from any public statements on this 
sensitive decision. 
 
¶4. (S/NF) Our Baltic contacts confirmed that a December 16 
meeting of Baltic and Polish leaders had been scheduled and 
that contingency planning would be among the topics to be 
discussed (reftel).  They stressed the need for positive 
signals from NATO on this issue prior to that meeting. 
 
¶5. (S/NF) Separately, the U.S. Deputy Director (strictly 
protect) of the Secretary General's Private Office has 
informed us that the draft agenda for the Secretary General's 
December 10 meeting with SACEUR and the Chairman of the NATO 
Military Committee includes contingency planning.  He has 
stressed that a U.S. decision prior to that meeting could 
help steer it in the right direction. 
 
¶6. (S/NF) Action Request: We request that Washington expedite 
its efforts to finalize a decision by Monday, December 7, 
providing us the time we need to have the U.S. Military 
Representative and his German counterpart work this issue 
within NATO military channels prior to the meetings described 
above.  Without a decision by then, our ability to guide this 
process in a non-politicized manner will be seriously 
compromised. 
DAALDER